New Year’s Eve at London’s Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park

New Year’s Eve at London’s Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park

Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park was a magical way to spend the afternoon on New Year’s Eve 2011.

Exploring the pretty craft stalls, listening to the shouts of joy from the ice rink, which looked particularly beautiful at dusk, tucking into delicious German sausages and enjoying a glass or two of hot mead – what better way to spend the day?

Christmas Markets, hyde park, new years eve, Angels market, New Years Eve Hyde Park

Angels Christmas Market with numerous stalls selling beautiful hand-made crafts, delicious home-made mead….

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, Angels Market, Christmas Markets

ice rink hyde park, Christmas Markets

Hungarian chimney cake or for those with a big appetite, Lángos, a Hungarian fried bread topped with shredded cheese or sour cream….

Hyde Park, Christmas Markets, New Years Eve London

…all washed down by a mug of hot chocolate, mulled wine or cider, mead or perhaps a glass of viking blood (a German mead made with cherries and honey) or a pint at Santa’s Pub one of many fine drinking establishments in Winter Wonderland.

Winter Wonderland Hyde Park

Snow flakes whirled around us (and we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from as it wasn’t actually snowing!)

New Years Eve Hyde ParkNew Years Eve Hyde Park

Me againMore of my photographs of London at Christmas and New Year on Flickr.

This year’s Winter Wonderland is sadly over but I’m sure it will be back again next year. One of London’s Royal Parks, Hyde Park, covers over 350 acres and is well worth a visit any time of year. For more information visit Hyde Park.

London’s New Year’s Eve Fireworks

London’s fireworks at midnight on New Year’s Eve are reputedly fabulous but I’ve never seen them for myself. So I’ve asked some Twitter friends who live in London where they would suggest you watch the fireworks from without being trampled! Here’s what they suggested.

1. Primrose Hill on the northern side of Regent’s Park as it has a great view of central London. Suggested by @wanderbliss

2. One of the bridges over the River Thames either side of the London Eye but be sure to get there early and take supplies! Suggested by @TheTravelHack and @Savoirthere

3. Book a table at one of London’s sky bar restaurants such as ‘Galvin at Windows’ on the 28th floor of the Hilton on Park Lane or ‘Minako at the Met’. Suggested by @HiltonSuggests

Have a happy, healthy and travel-filled new year!

21 Comments

1. What do you suggest for New years eve with my chidren (ages 18 and 15) We are staying in Central London. Where can we view fireworks and not be trampled?

2. Gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing. I long to be in London for the holidays one year . . . this may have inspired me to do some planning for 2013! Happy New Year!

3. Hi.
    We are thinking of going to the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland this year for new year. I was just wondering if there was a big screen to watch the fireworks on in Hyde Park at midnight?
    Thank you!

• I didn’t see a big screen when I was there but we left long before midnight. I think Winter Wonderland closes at 10pm every day any way. London’s fireworks are let off near the London Eye. Follow that link for more info. Sorry I can’t be more help.

4. Hi Kat, we will be spending new years eve 2012/2013 in London. Do you think Hyde Park Winter Wonderland is suitable for teenagers (12 and 14).

• Hi Antoinette,
      I’d say it was perfect! There’s an ice-rink and fairground rides, which most teenagers love, although it is a bit pricey. You can check out their site for more info about this year’s Wonderland http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/
      Have a superb time in London. It’s a wonderful city.
      Kat

• Thanks so much, look forward to it

5. Wow! Looks like my kind of place. Lovely and fun images!!!

6. That is pretty cool! Having just come back from Christmas in Prague – I love the Christmas Markets. Hyde Park looks to have done London proud! Great photos. That moose head is crazy!!! Not something I would have associated with England.

7. Such magical pictures and delicious looking morsels on your journey through the market! I wish I could have been there.

• Thanks Jeff! It was lovely and there were lots of delicious temptations!

• Thanks Jo. The fake snow was lovely but we honestly couldn’t see where it came from!
      If you’d like to see some images of London in real snow check out my flickr pix :-)

8. Happy New Year Kat! Lovely photos, I haven’t been to the Winter Wonderland for years (when it was a lot smaller by the look of it now) but will have to go along next year.

• Thanks Lucy and happy New Year to you too. It was wonderful. Free to get in but rides were very expensive. We were just happy looking round.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Millenium Gloucester, luxury hotel London, ENgland - […] find plenty of great places to visit on your door step including Hyde Park (don’t miss Winter Wonderland at …

Submit a Comment