Seven Super Shots

Seven Super Shots

There’s a great photography post doing the rounds at the moment called ’7 Super Shots’. HostelBookers.com put out the call to select 7 of your favourite photographs, one for each of the following categories, then tag 5 bloggers that you would like to take part. I was really pleased when Anja nominated me. So here are my 7 shots…

1. A photo that…takes my breath away

The pretty seaside town of L’Ile Rousse, Corsica and the stunning beach – the colour of the sea took my breath away the first time I saw it and no matter how often I return it still does. A shot taken in the other direction featured in my ‘ Travel snap of the week’ recently so check it out if you’d like to know a more about L’Ile Rousse.

2. A photo that…makes me laugh or smile

These wonderful children in The Gambia always make me smile when I visit their school in Brikama. Read about my last visit in ‘My dairy from the smiling coast of Africa.’

3. A photo that…makes me dream

Calvi beach (also in Corsica) with a back drop of pine trees and the mountains beyond – I regularly dream of being back in Corsica!

4. A photo that…makes me think

I took this photograph while on a photographic assignment in Senegal. Whenever I look at it I wonder what she was thinking. I think she looks sad. My guide did speak to her to ask if it was OK to take a few photos before I barged into her home.  I do hope she didn’t mind the intrusion too much. I felt frustrated that all I could do was smile and thank her in English or French without knowing whether she understood a word of what I was saying.

As a travel photographer you often find your self intruding in people’s lives. When is it OK and when are you crossing the line?

5. A photo that…makes my mouth water

Cupcakes topped with strawberries and cream, in Brighton, England. Delicious!

Brighton is a lovely, lively seaside town about an hour on the train from London. The Royal Pavilion, resembling an Indian palace, is well worth visiting and the Lanes and North Laine are wonderful little cobbled streets full of interesting, sometimes quirky shops that are great to explore. There’s a thriving nightlife here too, so if you want to enjoy all that Brighton has to offer you’ll need to stay overnight. You can find hotels in Brighton on Expedia.

6. A photo that…tells a story

This statue in memory of the end of slavery is a poignant reminder of the tragic past of Gorée Island just off the coast of Dakar, Senegal. Once a transportation post for slaves leaving Africa it is now a very beautiful little island with pretty pastel painted buildings and flower filled streets plus a museum about slavery. A ‘must see’ when visiting Dakar. More of my photos from Senegal are on Flickr.

7. A photo that…I am most proud of (aka my worthy of National Geographic shot)

This is a tough one! My favourite photograph changes regularly and I’ve already posted a few in my weekly ‘Travel snap’ features. Not wanting to repeat myself here’s another one of my favourites shots of a street in Mindelo on the island of São Vicente in Cape Verde.

Thanks again Anja for nominating me. There are lots of  bloggers’ I’d like to pass this on too but I better limit this to 5 as requested!

So I’m asking the following to share their ’7 Super Shots’ with us.

Suzanne, The Travel Bunny

Cynthia, Hapidayz

Abu, A Visual Journey

Andrew, Andrew Graeme Gould Photography

Greg, Wanders & Wonders

54 Comments

1. Your photos are really great. I love the one of the happy school children, and the statue in Dakar is very moving to see.

• Thank you for visiting my blog and letting me know you liked this post. :-)

2. terrific images Kathryn…that statue made me teary

3. Fabulous shots Kathryn, particularly that last one! Haven’t been to any of these places except England!

• Thanks Madhu. Hope you get to visit some of these wonderful places sometime.

• Wow! Your shot of the lion roaring is superb.Thanks for popping by :-)

4. Hi Kathryn… I was just wondering how I can go about obtaining the permission to use some of your wonderful photos in a book that I just recently completed? Thanks

• Hello Percy, Thank you for your interest in my photography. I will contact you by email.

5. Hi Kathryn, What gorgeous photos, and you’ve definitely made my mouth water with those cup cakes. Maybe I’ll take one to the beach at Corsica…

6. Gorgeous photos! I especially love the ones from Africa. I really need to get to that continent some day soon. I always wonder the same question with #4 there too, when photographic people in certain places.

• Hello Anwar, I do hope you get to Africa one day soon. Thanks for checking out my blog. Glad you liked it!

7. Great photos! Number 6 really tells a story!

• Indeed… an awful story but one that will not be forgotten

8. Great collection of shots Kat! Especially love the way you capture expressions…

• Thanks for checking out my blog, Sage, and for your kind comment. Much appreciated.

9. Some great shots – really liked the smiling children. Put a smile on my face immediately. :)

• Thank you and it’s lovely to hear that the children made you smile :-)

• Thanks Jeremy and thanks for checking out my blog. Yours looks interesting. Must have a proper look when I get the chance. :-)

10. Those cupcakes look amazing! The senegal photos are so interesting as well. that is on my list of places I hope to one day see.

• Thanks Anwar. Hope to go back there myslef one day for a longer visit. YOur blog looks interesting. Will pop back for a better look.

11. Thank you so much for finding my blog! I really enjoyed these 7 photos – I am beginning to really enjoy the whole photography thing…though I have a lot to learn about my camera. I am looking foward to perusing more of your posts!

• Thanks for checking out my blog. I enjoyed looking through yours. It’s great to connect with other bloggers. :-)

• I’m glad you enjoyed it! I don’t always write about traveling, that’s for sure – but it dawned on me the other day that what may not feel like traveling to me, is traveling for someone else who doesn’t live near here! So…I guess I blog about it more than I realized. :-) And yes, it is great to connect with other bloggers. I really am enjoying the blogging world!

12. beautiful selection, all of them. I especially liked the one you chose for the category ‘photo which tells a story’.

interestingly your selection for that which takes your breath away(in other words when u are awake) and that which makes you dream (asleep/awake) are both beach photos- shows amply clear of your love for beaches (and not just any beach but corsica) :)

and thanks for mentioning my blog. I will have to dig in deep now

• Thanks Abu and yes, I’m in love with Corsica! I was born by the sea and spent my childhood summers with my sister on the beach – not the glorious weather and sandy shores of Corsica but a pebble beach on the south coast of England but we loved it none the less.

Looking forward to seeing your 7 super shots!

13. Yay, you are welcome Kat. I love your photos and stories. The Gambia girls make me really happy too :-) …planning holidays in Corsica now…

• Thank you so much. It is lovely to get such wonderul comments.

Last time I went to Corsica I stayed here A Merula, booked through Corsican Places. It was a really lovely place and very handy for the beach and town. (They are part of Serenity Holidays whom I’m lucky enough to work for!)

14. Fantastic photos! The photo of the monument in Dakar is very powerful.

15. Lovely photos – you’ve definitely made me put Corsica on my ‘places to visit soon’ list!

• Thank you Lucy. Corsica is really beautiful. The food is superb and everyone is very freindly. I couldn’t recommend it more! :-)

16. Great post, great blog… thanks for the follow :)

17. Most definitely some super shots here – you set a high bar! Off now to go through my photos – thank you for the nomination :0)

• Thanks Suzanne and my pleasure. Looking forward to seeing yours.

18. Nice shots …especially that one of the statue on Ile’ de Goree – I think I remember that one.

• Thanks for the comment and looks Kat …its been awhile since I’ve posted …I think that 7 links award post is from Sept of 2011 …yikes …too busy working, traveling, getting married, getting sued, losing money, making money and making that lawyer look like a total idiot …ha. I definitely gotta get back on track though. So, what are you doing in Dakar? Work? or just a holiday.
        Thanks again,
        John

• Hi,
          I didn’t notice it was posted back in September. Too busy gazing at your photos. Hope you find time to get back into it and congratulations on getting married!

I was in Senegal for just 3 days on a photo assignment for The Senegal Experience. A wonderful experience and I really hope to go back there sometime.

all the best, Kathryn

19. Great collection – very poignant. Congrats.

20. Wow Kat, these photos are fantastic! Such a good idea too, thanks for tagging me, though not sure I can live up to such high expectations….love pic 5, being nearly tea time on a Sunday afternoon, wish I had those cupcakes on hand!!!

• Hi Cynthia, Thank you, glad you like them and I’m looking forward to seeing yours. I rather fancy a cupcake myself now. Damn! :-)

Submit a Comment