How can I call myself ‘intrepid’ when compared to my grandmother?

How can I call myself ‘intrepid’ when compared to my grandmother?

In my recent post ‘In my grandmother’s footsteps’  I explained why I have started saving for a trip to China and I’d like to share with you a few photos from a number of albums my father still has from the thirties.

I’d also like to make a request, if I may, I have entered Intrepid Travel’s latest competition and would really appreciate you checking it out. It’s a long shot, but the prize would enable me to follow in my grandmother’s footsteps to Shanghai. So if you like my entry please vote for me. Why not enter yourself and if you do please do add a link on the comments here -  I’d love to read it. You can vote for as many entries as you like (although only once for each entry). Plus everyone who votes or enters gets 15% off an Intrepid Travel adventure.

You can vote for my entry and submit yours here.

My grandparents and father in 1935

China around 1930

Father making new friends on holiday in Japan

My father on holiday in Peitaiho, North China, 1937

30 Comments

1. Hum! quite interesting! That made me dreamed!

• That’s nice to hear. I hope I can make my dream come true one day, :-)

2. There are so many foreign places that I would like to go to but I just can’t convince myself to leave the United States. Besides, there’s still a lot for me to do here.

• There’s certainly many different places to explore in the US but such a shame to stop there. I hope you’ll venture further a field one day, you’ll gain so much. :-)

3. I thoroughly enjoyed that post, Kat. Just voted.

These pictures are priceless. I especially like the one of your Dad with the Japanese boys. He must have been such a ‘curiosity’ for them then. :)

• Thank you. I really appreciate everyones support. And yes, I expect he was. Although it is quite possible that quite a few foreigners living in Shanghai went on holiday there. I must add that to the list of questions I want to ask my Dad next time I catch-up with him.

4. Wow! I’ll be voting and reading more later. Might even give it a shot but definitely want to read the story. Husband at elbow wanting laptop- back soon!

• I’m back! He needs it for his living sadly. Off to read this time.

• Fair enough, although a shame he has to work on a Sunday. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. I’m off for a walk along the beach. :-)

5. A lovely tale and I do hope you get to follow in your Grandmother’s footsteps. I’ve just voted – good luck!

• Thanks Suzanne. Really appreciate the support from everyone who has voted so far. Going to need a lot more votes to be in with a chance. Worth a shot though!

6. Priceless photos! Just voted for you Kat. How wonderful it would be if you could follow your grandmothers footsteps!

• Thanks Madhu. Really do appreciate your support. I’m going to need a lot more votes to be in with a chance though!

• Keeping my fingers crossed :-)

• Yes, very special and I’m so pleased I am finally now scanning them etc so that even when the originals have faded away they won’t be lost.

7. I voted; good luck to you. Interesting story.

8. I wish I had such photos from my family; what a treasure! :-) But a camera wasn’t the most common thing in these days… Great story too (+1)!

• Thank you – really appreciate it (..yay! you can comment again ;-)

9. What a lovely surprise :-).

• Plenty more to come little big sister! :-D
      Do you remember that red and black clowns outfit we used to play with? I’ve a picture of Dad wearing it!

Submit a Comment