When I was in Egypt, over 20 years ago, I can still remember the wonder I felt reading a collection of ancient Egyptian myths written thousands of years ago. They featured places such as the step pyramid at Saqqara that were already many thousands of years old themselves when those myths were first told! And there I was looking at these pyramids built in the 27th century B.C. It really blew me away!
Have you ever found yourself reading a book in an unusual setting
and found the experience was made more intense
because of the location you were in?
With the film release of Kerouac’s legendary book ‘On the Road’ on 12th October Theworks.co.uk are celebrating by holding a competition for book-loving travel bloggers. I was really delighted to be asked to be one of the judges together with Andrea Bennett, the Buying Director of The Works and Sarah O’Meara, Lifestyle Editor of huffingtonpost.co.uk.
We are asking travel bloggers to publish a post about their most memorable reading experience while travelling. We’d like to hear about the book you read and how it made you feel and exactly where you were when you read it. Please describe your surroundings and situation and explain why the moment had such an impact.
When you’ve finished writing your post, nominate at least three other bloggers to share their ‘on the road reading moments’ by listing their blog sites.
The winner will receive a £250 book voucher so that they can stock up on more travel reads.
How to enter
- Create a blog post that talks about your favourite on the road reading moment as outlined above. Within your post be sure to mention the competition page http://www.theworks.co.uk/travelbloggercomp so that your readers know what it’s all about.
- At the end of your post, nominate three other travel bloggers to take part in the ‘On the road reading moments’ competition and let them know you’ve done so.
- By the deadline, 30th November 2012 (extended to 14th December), let The Works know that you’ve entered by using one of the following methods:
- ‘Like’ The Works on Facebook and leave a comment with a link to your blog post: http://www.facebook.com/TheWorksStores
- Follow @theworks on Twitter and tweet them with your entry, including the hash tag #travreadingmoments
- Email your entry to email@example.com, including your name, email address and phone number.
The judging panel will pick a winner who will then receive a £250 The Works voucher. Sorry this is only open to UK residents but even if you don’t live in the UK we’d love you to take part just for fun!
Please find further details & T&Cs here: http://www.theworks.co.uk/travelbloggercomp
To get the ball rolling I’d like to nominate the following bloggers but remember you don’t need to be nominated to enter.
Ana from Mrs O Around the World
Angie and Paul from My Postcard From
Mallory from Mallory on Travel
Janey from 40 before 30
Andy from 501 Places
Lucy from On the Luce
And last but not least, a non-UK resident who might like to enter just for fun. Although Jeff wouldn’t be eligible for the prize he can of course still write a post about his most memorable reading moment and nominate others to take part.
Jeff from EuroTravelogue