Going solo in Rome

Going solo in Rome

You are in one of the most romantic cities in the world but your other half isn’t!

Is this a problem? “Not at all!” would be my answer.

While of course I would have loved Neill to have been there to share with me all the wonderful things I did in Rome, being on my own did have some advantages.

A particularly busy night by the Spanish Steps for a Vogue fashion show

For starters, travelling on your own gives you the flexibility to do exactly what you want, when you want and at the pace you want. The result is you get a lot more done and I was there to work after all although, I’ll admit, researching Rome’s food and wine didn’t really feel like work!

Secondly, I was far too busy to be lonely and I met lots of really interesting people so I had plenty of opportunities to chatter away to my heart’s content.

Did I feel safe in Rome?

Yes. I had it on good authority from someone living in Rome that it was safe for a lone woman to walk around central Rome at night on her own, assuming she wasn’t staggering around drunk, of course. I certainly felt perfectly safe on my own in the evenings.

The only thing that I had been warned about were the pickpockets, who ‘work’ in the day rather than at night, especially around the train stations and on the metro. Having fallen victim to them last time I had visited Italy I was very conscious of this. I knew first hand just how skilled a professional pickpocket was.

When I visited Bologna last July with Suzanne (from The Travel Bunny) we once walked into town along a quiet side street rather than the busier main route into town. When we reached our destination I took off my rucksack and found that all three zipped pockets were open. My phone was gone. We had seen no one else in the street and I had felt nothing!

Lesson learned, although I did still have a rucksack in Rome, I kept all my valuables zipped inside an inner pocket in a small handbag worn with the strap across my body so that the bag was in view at all times. Not fool-proof but a lot safer.

I’m pleased to say my phone was insured and I now have a replacement but it was still an upsetting experience. Luckily the police had an office in Bologna railway station, which was just the other side of the road from my hotel, so it was easy to report (which you have to do if you want to make a claim on your travel insurance).

On the plus side I did met some very nice Italian policemen so it wasn’t all bad!

Dining Alone

I will admit that I’m not a fan of dining alone which I first had to do in a foreign land when I started photographing holiday homes in France and Italy. I remember one particular evening in Corsica sitting alone in my hotel’s alfresco restaurant on the top of a cliff looking out across the ocean at the setting sun thinking – this is just wrong to be somewhere so beautiful alone.

It was when I started travel writing that I discovered quite by accident a useful little tip. I started taking my notebook out whenever I was at a restaurant to jot down my thoughts about the experience, what I ate and so on. The restaurant staff always notice and usually assume I am a restaurant critic. Not only do I get great service but it makes it easier to strike up a conversation and find out more about the restaurant. This is exactly what happened last year when I visited Pigna, home to one of my favourite restaurants.

Another plus of being on your own is that you don’t have to frantically wave your arms about to stop everyone else from starting their meal so that you can photograph it. (Thank you Neill for your patience.) Instead you can photograph your meal to your heart’s content and then tuck-in!

The Rewards of Travelling Solo

While the thought to some may be daunting, travelling solo does wonders for your confidence and gives you a sense of freedom and adventure that you can only experience alone. There are certainly pros and cons of travelling alone but if you haven’t already tried it you really should. You don’t have to go the whole-hog with a round-the-world solo trip. You could just start off with a long weekend in one of the many beautiful cities of Europe (or closer to your home if you live outside of Europe). You might be surprised how liberating it is!

Of course in some cultures it is not acceptable for a woman to travel unaccompanied. If that is your experience I’d be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

More Posts from Rome

Roman pizza and peaches in red wine
Learning to cook pizza in Rome including the recipe plus a simple dessert of peaches drenched in red wine.

The authentic taste of Rome!
Join me on a wonderful food tour of Rome including the oldest market, numerous tastings and where to find the best coffee and the best food souvenirs.

Pairing Italian Wine and Food
Learn the basics of wine tasting and pairing food and wine.

On a mission to discover Rome’s food and wine!
My arrival in Rome  when I discover where to find the great gelato and how to tell if it is genuine artisan gelato plus I visit a cafe in a fashionable district of Rome where you can buy a plate of pasta with a glass of wine for just  4 euros.

Disclosure: I was travelling as a guest of Expedia in Rome. All thoughts are my own and as always I give my honest opinions.

49 Comments

1. Rome is my Dream Destination…. In future I am sure I will be there. Thanks for sharing…. I love this post !
    Alina recently posted..Popular Attractions of MacauMy Profile

2. Rome is one of my favourite destination as it is very beautiful and I feel safe while travelling solo.

3. Hi Kat,

Great blog and judging by the images it seems like you really did have a great time exploring and enjoying Rome. I never been to Rome yet, but its still included in my list of places and countries to travel. I have always wanted to travel solo. I guess I kinda have that scary feeling to travel alone. I have been traveling to places and other countries with friends, the last destination place were in was in Greece. Most of them have traveled solo and they re assure me that traveling solo was indeed one of the best experiences they have.

• Hi Florence, Sorry for the delay in approving your comment – it slipped into the spam folder! I hope you get to visit Rome one day soon. I would love to go back again to discover more. And thank you for your kind comment about my photos :-D
      Kathryn Burrington recently posted..Chocolate box cottages, cider and cream teasMy Profile

4. Hi Kate,

Haha, yes you probably have a point there – I’d love to see more of Europe, so that would possibly be a much wiser option ;)

Rachel x

5. Hi Kat,

Travelling alone is something I have yet to experience, but after reading your post I think I may well have to take the plunge!

I’m thinking of visiting Brazil next year, so if I do go alone I think I’ll be investing in some pacsafe gear – especially after hearing about your pick-pocket incident :(

Rachel x

6. Nice post. I used to be very wary of travelling alone. Not so much because of safety, but because it was something unknown – how fun could it be, not being able to share your experiences with anyone? I did it once though, in Scotland, and it was great.

I do love travelling with others, but as you say there are many positives to travelling alone. The ability to do things on your schedule alone, to engage in self reflection, to really get into the place that you’re visiting. Of course, being able to take photos of food knowing that you’re not annoying anyone is nice too :)
    Paul recently posted..Ho Chi Minh City Food GuideMy Profile

7. I am going to travel solo in Prague next week and I’m so excited. Hope I’ll have as good time as you did in Rome. It feels so weird not to travel with Cez, but as you said there are always pros and cons, so I’m focusing on pros at the moment. Was the Italian pasta nice?
    Agness recently posted..Food and Accommodation in Bangkok on a Budget (My Profile

• Oh Prague! How wonderful. Have you been before? Try and check out the Jewish cemetary while you are there. Very moving exprrience.Have a fantastic time. and yes, great pasta in Rome. My favourite is pesto and spaghettii. Kat x

8. Oh no – I’m sorry you had your rucksack broken into in Bologna. I think Rome Termini station is the most threatening place I’ve been to – it seemed full of people looking for bags to steal.

• I had heard it was bad there but I didn’t go there myself. That’s a real shame though as rest of Rome is wonderful and not in the least threatening.

9. That’s incredible how someone can pickpocket you without even noticing it. We saw something similar to that on the Buenos Aires subway. I used a Pacsafe on my RTW which is hard for anyone to open. Great post!

Cheers,

Larissa
    Larissa recently posted..Fending off pickpockets on the Buenos Aires subwayMy Profile

• Hi Larissa, yes I was impressed with how they did it, despite being very upset. What surprised me was how we didn’t even see anyone. I expected pickpockets to work in busy, overcrowded areas. The Pacsafe range does look very good and worth investing in I think. Thanks for popping by, Kat

10. What a lovely post. Shame about your phone. I have been facing the ‘eating alone in a beautiful place’ problem for years. When it comes down to it I think to myself, “What is worse- having a sandwich for tea and being comfortable, or having a beautiful meal, in a beautiful place, alone?” Common sense always prevails, but it’s not always easy! I read once, from another travel blog, if you are ever feeling uncomfortable, just remind yourself that you are a travel journalist doing research. Always helps me, even though I don’t quite have that title yet!

• You’re writing a travel blog so that makes you a travel journalist to me! Thanks for following. I hope you enjoy the journey.

11. You make some great points about traveling on your own. And I think you can really focus on the travel experience too. Thanks for such an informative post!
    Meg Travels recently posted..Travel Theme: On DisplayMy Profile

12. I’ve not travelled much alone but think I would enjoy going at my own pace and, as you say, not have to worry about my other half not being able to eat until I’d photographed our food. Well – we both know all about that!
    Travelbunny recently posted..‘La Tagliata’ Perfect Positano RestaurantMy Profile

• Having said all that, you were certainly a wonderful travelling companion and I hope we have another adventure together before too long!

13. Loved this post!
    I enjoyed Italy but found Rome to be very overwhelming as a vast city. It was my first time traveling to Europe and I went with my boyfriend. I am willing to give it a second chance though!

I have yet to really travel solo. My sister and I are thinking of going to France next year but then again I do wonder if it is worth experiencing alone as our tastes and intentions of traveling differ. Something to think about.

Murissa
    Murissa recently posted..Therapy Vineyards: Freudian SipsMy Profile

• Thanks Murissa. So glad you are coming back to Europe. France is a beautiful country. Where were you thinking of going and for how long?

If you are worried about being over whelmed again maybe you should compromise – go over together, find your feet and then split up and depending on how long you are going for you could always meet up again, catch-up and then go off on your own again!

14. Wow it looks like you had a great time!
    I like sometimes traveling solo, or take a day off from my travel buddies to photograph, explore and breath the new land. Italy is a very nice place to travel alone, since the people are friendly! :)
    Arianna recently posted..Yours Trulli: Six Reasons To Love PugliaMy Profile

15. Hi Kathryn, I loved your blog on Rome. I lived there many years ago and since then I try my best to go back every year. When I went to live there originally, I went alone and it was such a fantastic place to meet people. Something about travelling alone certainly does give you that confidence to get out there and meet new people. Rome is one of the most captivating places in the world in my opinion and one day soon, I plan to go back to write a book there. It’s an inspirational place and while my heart really does belong at home in Ireland, at least once a year or more, it belongs in Rome. Thanks for this, it’s triggered some nice memories.

16. I haven’t done a lot of solo travel so it’s still feels a bit strange to me, especially the eating out bit as you say. Though I’ll be using a few of the photography/notebook tricks next time. There is something nice about being somewhere and only having to please yourself and do whatever you like.
    Lucy Dodsworth recently posted..In pictures: Jumièges Abbey in NormandyMy Profile

• There certainly is! It is something that didn’t come naturally to me at first but I had to do it for work (photography assignments) and I’m so glad I did. :-)

17. I have often written in my notebook at meals when travelling alone and, like you, have noticed the more attentive service. Taking a photograph of the food as well seems to reinforce the idea that I am a restaurant critic.
    Gordon Lethbridge recently posted..Where in the World (5)My Profile

• Love this week’s “where in the world” but I don’t have a clue!

….Actually now I’ve had a better look I might have an idea. I’ll tweet it ;-)

18. What I always love about traveling alone is that I can be selfish with my time: wander when and where I want, the same with eating and shopping, without always having to coordinate with my family members. To me, that is one of the great pleasures of solo travel.
    Margaret recently posted..A is for ambrosia; B is braeburn; C is for crimson crispMy Profile

19. I have started making myself do more ‘solo travel’ lately.Even, as you say, if it’s only a short distance from home. The more you do it, the more you begin to enjoy it. There are always some places and experiences though that you wish you could share.
    travellingbag recently posted..Exciting changes!!My Profile

• It can be wonderful to be able to share those special moments with someone, however, I am sure solo travel is very good for building confidence and yes, the more you do it the better it gets! So I try and do a bit of both.

• My pleasure and I enjoyed reading your post about the floating markets. Great photos too. Would love to go there one day.

20. Funny – I normally enjoy solo travel (many of the same reasons you suggested), but for some reason, I found Rome a little overwhelming this time and was craving someone to share it with! I did feel quite safe and had no backpack – only a camera bag – so I had no pickpocket issues as my hand was always on my camera bag. Somehow, I felt Rome was a place I just wanted to share with someone else! While I enjoyed wandering around and visiting some of the traditional sites – I am looking forward to another trip – with my partner! After all – with so many amazing restaurants to choose from – two dishes can be better than one!
    Anita Mac recently posted..The Magic of Ermita de San Nicolas on the Camino de SantiagoMy Profile

• I think Rome is wonderful either way! I hope you get to go back soon with your partner so you can share the magic of Rome.

21. You’re so right about taking a notebook to restaurants if you have to dine alone. I used to bury my head in a book but scribbling in a notebook is an entirely different experience. I use the time to reflect on the day and make notes while I can still remember them, as well as to take notes about the restaurant.

And yes, it makes it much easier to take photos without your fellow diners groaning in impatience :)
    Julie Dawn Fox recently posted..Travel Theme: On display in PortugalMy Profile

• Mind you, I do get some funny looks when I start photographing the menu but it certainly saves time on writing everything down!

22. I love to travel alone and do it often. It is great for all the reasons you mention. I will be alone in lovely Rome soon on my way home.
    Debra Kolkka recently posted..Circolo dei ForestieriMy Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ode to the lady traveller: Why we need the #WeGoSolo movement - [...] Going Solo in Rome [...]
  2. On a mission to discover Rome’s food and wine! - [...] Going solo in Rome How did I find travelling on my own in Rome plus a few handy tips. …
  3. Pairing Italian Wine and Food - [...] Going solo in Rome How did I find travelling on my own in Rome plus a few handy tips. …
  4. Roman pizza and peaches in red wine - [...] Going solo in Rome How did I find travelling on my own in Rome plus a few handy tips. …
  5. Going solo in Rome « goodthingsfromitaly - [...] on travelwithkat.com Share this:TwitterFacebookVind ik leuk:LikeWees de eerste die dit leuk [...]

Submit a Comment