Travel Photo Roulette #117 from Paris, the City of Lights
The symbol of light
Throughout the centuries light has symbolised good, purity, hope, knowledge, love and faith for many different peoples and religions. There are many festivals of light including Diwali (Hindu) and Hanukkah (Judaism) as well as secular festivals intended to bring joy in the darker months of the year. A candle surrounded by barbed wire is the symbol of Amnesty International. Following on from one of the darkest hours Paris has ever seen I hope many of you will join me in celebrating the symbol of light and join in the next round of Travel Photo Roulette.
The theme for the next round of Travel Photo Roulette is ‘Light’.
Travel Photo Roulette is a fun competition held between travel and photography blogs and I was delighted to win the previous round with this photograph of another beautiful city lit up for Christmas, London.
Thanks to Nibble, Sip, Wander who hosted round 116 with the theme ‘holidays’ for selecting my photo as the winning entry.
Winning the last round means that it is my turn to host the next so please share your photographs of light or lights and you are free to interpret the theme in any way you wish. Details of how to enter are below.
Travel Photo Roulette Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (i.e. using Photoshop to remove elements) is not.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase – and the connection is comprehensible!
- Keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized (800 pixels wide is good)
- If you win, you will host the next round (runs for 7 days) and so choose the next theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments” or with a dash of focus such as “monuments at night”, which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.”
- Themes can be reused after 1 year, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
How to Enter
It’s so easy! To enter the Travel Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with:
- a link to the image (whether Flickr, 500px, Trover, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) and
- a short description as to why this image represents this round’s theme of light.
As photos are submitted, I will add them to the post. Check back to see your entry! Submissions will close on Tuesday 15th December 2015 at midnight GMT. I will select the winner and notify him/her shortly thereafter. He/she will then host the next round of Travel Photo Roulette #118. Please share the contest across social media using the hashtag #photoroulette – the more entries the better.
Entries to Travel Photo Roulette Round 117, Light
By Johanna, Travel Eater
My submission is not at all related to the holidays, but more about how darkness and light play together. It’s a photo I snapped quickly with my iphone while walking through an alley in a tiny town in Hunan, China. I loved how the ladies’ mahjong game was lit just by the sunlight.
By Carole, Berkeley and Beyond
Though the atrium at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco is always a delight to be in, during the Christmas holidays, when long strings of lights hang throughout, it is a stunning sight indeed.
By Heather, Heather on her travels
I took this recently in the Christmas markets in Heidelberg on ‘Pink Monday’ when all the buildings of the Old Town are lit up with pink illuminations as well as the stalls serving pink gluhwein and other pink themed food and drink. I thought the combination of lights on the building and the Christmas stalls was a pretty effect.
By Anna, Penelope & Parker’s Travels
Here’s mine – SUN-light, because that is what I am missing most right now, SUN light and DAY light! This was a morning run a month or so ago which reminded me why I get up early to get some fresh air and exercise!
By Suzanne, The TravelBunny
Vegas at night – a city known for it’s use of lighting for advertising.
By Jackie, Catalonia & Valencia
I love natural light and how it plays on the sea. I took this photo in October, in Peñiscola – it is a light dance, with the dancing partners being the sea and the sky.
By Orla, Portobello Wild
One of the first photos I took with my brand new DSLR last year and fitting as that was the day that really got me excited about travel photography – its the light through the maple trees at the Japanese Gardens in Kildare, Ireland.
By Anne, Let Me Be Free
The sun rising over Lake Serene in Western Australia, such a magical time of the day.
By Suzanne, Boomeresque
My photo is of Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA taken on a snowy evening when the Square was illuminated with lights for the winter holidays.
By Adam, Getting Stamped
My favorite ‘LIGHT’ photo came from a recent trip to Budapest, Hungary while watching the traffic cross the famous Chain Bridge that links the two sides of the city. I used long exposure techniques and a lot of patience to capture just the right amount of ‘Light’ (headlights and taillights) on the bridge.
Previous Winners of Travel Photo Roulette
Check out some of the previous rounds to see some really fabulous photography collections.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream: Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker: Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream: Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ: Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust: Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back: Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD: Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate: Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond: Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky: Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam: Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles: The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures: Changing Seasons
- April 2011 Shutterfeet: Storytelling
- April 2011 10 Times One: Piousness
- April 2011 Beached Eskimo: Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies: Architecture
- June 2011 Destination World [-404-]: Transportation
- June 2011 Living the Dream: Paradise
- June 2011 Vagabond Quest: Clothes
- July 2011 The Unframed World: Symmetry
- July 2011 Beached Eskimo: Home
- July 2011 BackPackerBanter: Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader: Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe: Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer: Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan: City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com: Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart: Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest: Silhouettes
31. Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels: Music
32. Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls: Love
33. Dec 2011 Man on the lam: Humor
34. Jan 2012 My Walkabout: Winter
35. Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel: Blue
36. Feb 2012 Ten times One: Depth of the Field
37. Feb 2012 Runaway Juno: … Digital Nomad Moment
38. Mar 2012 Nomadbiba: Sunshine
39. Mar 2012 Travel With Kat: Local Character
40. April 2012 The Travel Bunny: Street Scene
41.April 2012 Adventure Crow: Spirit of the Country
42. May 2012 Food Travel Bliss: Evening
43. May 2012 Matt Gibson: Adventure
44. May 2012 Flashpacker HQ: Once In A Lifetime
45. July 2012 Dusty Main: Surreal
46. Aug 2012 2away: Smile
47. Aug 2012 Bridges & Balloons: Splendour
48. Sep 2012 The GypsyNester: What the ?!
49. Oct 2012 Runaway Juno: Sweet
50. Nov 2012 GQ Trippin: Play
51. Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories: Friendship
52.Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker: Face
53. Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly: Serendipity
54. Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions: Lost in Thought
55. Feb 2013 Wanderlusters: The Natural World
56. Mar 2013 Travel Junkies: Patterns
57. April 2013 Living the Dream: Your First Time
58. May 2013 Getting Stamped: The Sun Goes Down
59. June 2013 The GypsyNester: Cheesy Tourist Diversions
60. June 2013 Boomeresque: Revolution
61. July 2013 Breakaway Backpacker: Colorful
62. Aug 2013 Around This World: Mountains
63. Aug 2013 Passports & Pamplemousse Hands at Work
64. Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance 4
65. Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
66. Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery: The Market
67. Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet?: Travel Fails
68. Oct 2013 The GypsyNester: Weird Regional Foods
69. Nov 2013 Sophie’s World: Trees
70. Nov 2013 SHOuTography: Party
71. Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman: Ruin
72. Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel: Light
73. Jan 2014 This World Rocks: Crowds
74. Jan 2014 Travel Past 50: Competition
75. Feb 2014 The Working Traveller: Working
76. Mar 2014 Travels with Carole: Umbrellas
77. April 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
78. April 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
79. May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
80. May 2014 Backpack Me: Mouthwatering
81. June 2014 20 Years Hence: The Face of A Nation
82. July 2014 Two for the Road: Into the Wild
83. July 2014 TurtlesTravel: Summer!
84. Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia: Candid
85. Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth: Hiking
86. Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out: Transport
87. Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet: Wild World
88. Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth: The 4 Elements
89. Oct 2014 Travel Addicts: Heritage
90. Oct 2014 Living the Dream: Your Grand Adventure
91. Oct 2014 Getting Stamped: Inspire
92. Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ: Viewpoint
93. Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan: WOW!
94. Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth: Roads and Tracks
95. Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos?: Street Art
96. Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost: Frozen
97. Mar 2015 Journey Jottings: Detail
98. April 2015 House Sitting Travel: What’s your Angle?
99. April 2015 JetWayz: Spiritual Beauty
100. April 2015 The Trading Travelers: Celebrate
101. May 2015 Street Food World Tour: Epic
102. May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows: Landscape
103. May 2015 We Travel Together: Wildlife
104. May 2015 Vagabond Way: Festival
105. June 2015 Travel Addicts: Landmarks
106. June 2015 TravelnLass: Wrinkles
107. July 2015 Anita’s Feast: Food Markets
108. July 2015 Dare2Go: Dry
109. August 2015 Travel Past 50: Home
110. August 2015 The Barefoot Nomad: Doors
111. September 2015 House Sitting Travel: Repeating Shapes
112. September 2015 Berkeley and Beyond: Cemeteries
113 October 2015 Dare2Go: Reflection
114. October 2015 Journey Jottings: Thirst Quenching
115. November 2015 Not a Ballerina: Home Away from Home
116. November 2015 Nibble, Sip, Wander: Holiday