Through travel everyone can gain a greater understanding, appreciation and respect for other countries and the wonderfully diverse cultures and ecosystems found around the globe. Understanding and respect should not be an entirely one way occurrence. I strive to be aware of the impact I may have when I travel and by respecting others, their traditions and beliefs, hope to gain their respect in return.
Few with a love of journeying far and wide, however, can claim to always travel in the most sustainable manner at all times. Flying, for example, is well-known not to be the most eco-friendly mode of transport but it is very often the most convenient, the cheapest and sometimes the only viable option available. Responsible Tourism can be a powerful tool used to promote the appreciation and conservation of both cultures and ecosystems and I believe flying is a necessary evil to further this aim. That being said, I whole heartedly support airlines and airports striving to reduce their carbon footprint.
When I started ‘Travel With Kat’ I did not set out to write a responsible travel blog, however, I find that more and more often I am writing about subjects that fall under this umbrella and, with the above in mind, have adopted the following Responsible Tourism and Sustainability Policy.
Responsible Tourism and Sustainability Policy
- Respect and promote the respect of local indigenous people, their customs, traditions and beliefs.
- Contribute to the local economy by supporting local businesses.
- Learn about local customs and cultures.
- Respect the environment and promote environmental conservation.
- Promote animal welfare and the ethos that wild animals should remain wild (and not be habituated to humans).
- Never to support or promote any organisation or activity that potentially damages the environment or negatively impacts on human or animal rights.
- Actively promote human and animal rights, including (but not limited to) children’s rights to an education, clean water, access to health care and a life free from abuse.
- Reduce my carbon footprint where viable, both while travelling and while at home.