French roast chicken with raspberries and mashed potatoes with basil
Filet de poulet doré aux framboises, écrasé de pommes de terre au basilica
Much simpler than it sounds this French roast chicken dish can be prepared in around 30 minutes. I had great fun in Lille learning how to cook it with an excellent French chef at L’atelier des Chef, who have a total 10 cookery schools throughout France. Classes start from just 17€ for a half hour lesson such as the one I attended. Keep in mind though that if you can’t speak French you will need someone with you to translate. You get to eat your creation with the rest of the class afterwards and the price includes a glass of wine, dessert and coffee. I think that’s great value and it’s great fun with the added bonus that someone else does the washing up!
Ingredients: serves 6
Roast Chicken with raspberries
- 6 x 150g portions of chicken
- 200g fresh raspberries
- 3 cl olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 twigs of thyme
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 1 shallot
- 15 cl chicken stock
- 25g honey
- 8cl raspberry vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Potatoes suitable for mashing
- A small bunch of basil
- Espresso cup of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 210 ° C (gas mark 7).
2. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. In a saucepan, place the potato cubes and a pinch of coarse salt in cold water in a pan and bring to the boil. Cook the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes (check with a knife to make sure cooked through.
3. While the potatoes are cooking thinly slice the shallot and the basil leaves.
4. In a hot frying pan, brown both sides of the chicken in olive oil on a high heat.
5. Transfer the chicken to a baking tray, add salt and pepper and pop in the oven (for around 15 minutes).
6. Retain the oil in the frying pan and add the shallots, thyme, crushed garlic, a little butter and pinch of salt.
7. When the shallot is translucent, add the honey and boil. Add half of the raspberries then deglaze with the raspberry vinegar and chicken stock and reduce for about 10 minutes.
8. Remove the chicken from the oven.
9. Drain and mash the potatoes – add the olive oil, milk and basil and keep it warm until ready to serve.
For flavour as well as added visual interest zig-zag, thick balsamic vinegar across the plate. Lay the chicken next to this, sprinkle with a little paprika, pour the sauce over and add the remaining raspberries. Place a metal ring on top of the balsamic vinegar and spoon in the mashed potatoes firming it down a little to flatten on the top and remove the ring.
Disclaimer: Thank you to Roubaix Tourist office, Lille Metropole, Nord Tourism and P&O Ferries for a really wonderful weekend. All opinions expressed are my own. More from my weekend in Lille Metropole coming soon.