One of my favourite cuisines to both cook and eat has to be Italian and I’ll take any chance I can get to learn from the experts. I recently picked up some great tips for cooking the perfect risotto from celebrity chef Gennaro Contaldo. Both his tips and his recipe for pumpkin risotto were too good not to share so I’ve made a short video from my morning with Gennaro and here’s the recipe itself, just in time for Halloween.
Risotto All Zucca (Pumpkin Risotto)
- 300 g pumpkin clean weight cubed
- 300 g Carnaroli rice
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock kept hot
- 60 ml white wine
- 60 g parmesan cheese freshly grated and extra to serve
- 40 g butter
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1/4 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sweat the onion, celery, chilli and rosemary until the vegetables soften.
- Add the rice, stirring well to ensure that each one is coated in oil and lightly toasted for a couple of minutes.
- Add the wine, stirring all the time and allowing the wine to evaporate.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and stir.
- Immediately add a ladle of stock and stir.
- As the liquid is absorbed, add another ladle of stock and stir.
- Continue to do this for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked ‘al dente’. Meaning it is slightly under cooked and still firm to the bite. (If you’d like to know why, watch the video).
- Remove from the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Serve immediately.
With thanks to Gennaro Contaldo of BBC1s ‘Saturday Kitchen’ and ‘Two Greedy Italian’s’ fame. He’s a brand ambassador for Citalia who hosted this event. Keep up-to-date with the latest stories and more authentic Italian recipes from Gennaro by visiting Citalia.com/Gennaro.
Pin it for later!
Join my 'Behind the Scenes' newsletter
Delivered monthly to your inbox with all my behind the scenes news, latest posts and giveaways exclusive to my subscribers.
Travel Planning Resources
Please note that most of the following links are affiliate links which means that if you click on the link, I may be paid a small commission. You can find out more about affiliate links in my Disclaimer.
I never travel without insurance. If something unexpected goes wrong the costs implications are just too high to take the risk. World Nomads provides travel insurance to travellers from over 130 countries. They're the perfect choice for long term travellers or single trip insurance.
Travel clothes for women
Check out my guide to all my favourite travel clothes for women.
Book your hotel or package holiday
Book your flight
Skyscanneris my preferred flight search engine. I'd recommend them for finding the best deals on flights.
Rent a car
Discover Carsis a great site for comparing car hire prices to help you find the best deal. They search both local and international rental companies.
Book an experience
Don’t forget your travel adaptor
Worldwide travel adaptors are perfect no matter where you are travelling from or to. Buy this one from the US or this one from the UK. It’s pretty much the only one you’ll ever need. Please note that as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.