An archipelago of tropical islands hidden in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of West Africa. Each of the islands is unique. Some have lush green valleys tucked between dramatic mountain ranges, while others are flat and barren with endless sandy beaches lapped by the bluest of crystal clear water.
- Where is Cape Verde? In the Atlantic Ocean about 350 miles off the West African coast.
- How many islands are there in the archipelago? 12, including 2 uninhabited islands.
- What’s the weather like in Cape Verde? Average temperatures range between 26°C and 30°C with low humidity and little rain. The hottest months are August to October.
- When’s the best time of year to visit? Cape Verde is a year-round holiday destination.
- When’s the best time of year for water sports? The wind is strongest between November to March making it the ideal time for water sport enthusiasts.
- What’s the food like in Cape Verde? The main towns have a good range of restaurants serving international, Portuguese and local creole cuisine.
- What’s the currency in Cape Verde? The Cape Verdean Escudo or CV Esc which can only be obtained in the islands. Euros are widely accepted but credit cards are not.
A few years ago, I visited a group of beautiful islands on a photographic assignment for the Cape Verde Experience and had a fantastic time discovering this archipelago hidden in the Atlantic Ocean. I photographed numerous hotels but one, in particular, caught my eye,...