In last week’s post I had a fascinating chat with Jonathan Groves, the executive chef at the beautiful Ngala Lodge Restaurant in The Gambia, West Africa. He’s kindly shared with us his recipe for this delicious Coconut Créme Brulee which Ngala has featured on the menu since October. It’s been a great hit with the guests. Mind you, I’ve never tasted anything at this restaurant that hasn’t been a huge hit with me!
Pin it for later!
Coconut Créme Brulee
- 8 Egg yolks
- 30 g sugar
- 400 ml coconut milk tinned
- 100 g creamed coconut
- 400 g cream
- 4 large bananas
- sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
- brown sugar to sprinkle on top
- sprig mint to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 150° C (or gas mark 2).
- Slowly reduce the coconut milk and the creamed coconut to approx 250g.
- Then add the cream.
- Heat slowly until JUST boiling & then remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar untill thick and pale yellow and double in quantity.
- Whisk the coconut and cream mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Place in 6 large ramekins.
- Bake in bain maire for 30-40 minutes until just cooked - the middle should still have a wobble when shaken gently.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Warm in the oven.
- Cover in a layer of banana slices.
- Sprinkle with Brown sugar.
- Glaze sugar until brown.
- Top with a sprig of mint.
Join my 'Behind the Scenes' newsletter
Delivered monthly to your inbox with all my behind the scenes news, latest posts and giveaways exclusive to my subscribers.
Travel Planning Resources
Please note that most of the following links are affiliate links which means that if you click on the link, I may be paid a small commission. You can find out more about affiliate links in my Disclaimer..
I never travel without insurance. If something unexpected goes wrong the costs implications are just too high to take the risk. World Nomads provides travel insurance to travellers from over 130 countries. They're the perfect choice for long term travellers or single trip insurance.
Travel clothes for women
Check out my guide to all my favourite travel clothes for women.
Book your hotel or package holiday
Rent a car
Discover Car Hire is a great site for comparing car hire prices to help you find the best deal. They search both local and international rental companies.
Book an experience
When I’m travelling, especially to a new city, I use Viator and Get Your Guide to book tours and excursions, in particular, food walking tours or to visit somewhere tricky to get to by public transport.