When I visited Zest for Taste in Chichester the other week I had a lovely chat with the owner, Katharine, about her wonderful shop which you can read about in a previous post here. When I asked her what her favourite product was she didn’t hesitate. “My favourite winter warmers are our Spicy Smoked Asturian Chorizo and our Spanish Smoked Paprika. Both are fantastic ingredients for casseroles, Jambalayas and Spanish Omelettes.”
When she offered to write down a copy of a simple tapas dish made from the chorizo I, possibly a little too eagerly, shouted “Yes please!”
Pin it for later!
Red Wine Braised Chorizo
- 200 g Chorizo from Asturias, sliced 1-2cm thick
- 200 ml red wine
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 an onion finely sliced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C, gas mark 6.
- Start to pan fry the chorizo in an ovenproof frying pan for 2-3 minutes (no need to add any oil to the pan).
- Add the onion, garlic, thyme and red wine to the pan, and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl for serving.
I, of course, had to try this for myself, so invited a few friends round for lunch the next day. We all agreed the chorizo was so tasty and moist, as it came, that it almost seemed a shame to cook it. The chorizo flavour was subtler when cooked but the added flavour of the red wine and thyme were spot on. A recipe I’d definitely recommend and so easy!
And don’t worry if you don’t live near enough to Chichester to visit the shop in person. At least for those of you living in the UK, you can now buy a selection of products online at ZestForTaste.co.uk
Join my 'Behind the Scenes' newsletter
Delivered monthly to your inbox with all my behind the scenes news, latest posts and giveaways exclusive to my subscribers.